Wednesday 27 August 2014

How to.... Upcycle a footstool

Morning all!! On Instagram, lots of people ask me how I upcycle things, what paint I use etc. so here is a little tutorial on my most recent upcycle, a footstool purchased from the car boot for £3.50. 

This is the before pic: 
Not sure how old this is, but there was a layer of disintegrated leather and a cushion which had seen better days underneath! 

STEP ONE: remove the existing covers. For this, you are going to need some tools (my skills in knowing the names and uses of tools has really grown thanks to my hubby!) we used a chisel and side cutters to get out the upholstery pins and remove the covers. You need to strip it right back really, otherwise existing pins and nails will take away from the finished effect. 

STEP TWO: now all of the existing fabric was removed, it was time to paint the frame. I used my favourite brand of chalk finish paints 'rustoleum' (available from b&q) in the shade bramwell. This stool didn't need priming or sanding as it hadn't been painted before. If yours has, you need to lightly sand it or use sugar soap to remove 
any existing grease and residue.


STEP THREE: to make the cushioned top, we used foam which is widely available in diy shops. Measure the size you need, and cut using a hacksaw (or an electric carving knife-but be careful!!!!!) 
As you can see husband took over at this point as my measuring and cutting skills aren't the best!! 

STEP FOUR: once the paint is dry and the foam cut, it's time for the fabric top. This is my favourite part, as the right fabric can really transform a piece. It needs to be good quality cotton to 
withstand wear. My fabric is from the Birmingham rag market,
 alternatively you could use an old cushion cover, curtain etc that isn't used. Measure the fabric and cut, making sure you leave room to pull it round the stool. 
Once the fabric is measured and cut, it's time for the tricky part, stapling on the fabric. It's worth taking your time on this part as it needs to be done properly to have that professional finish. 



STEP FIVE: using a staple gun (w e got a really good heavy duty one from asda for £7) pull the fabric really tight around the foam and the frame and staple. The edges get trimmed at the end, and be careful round the corners as that's the really tricky part!! 

STEP SIX: enjoy your finished upcycled footstool! I already had the paint and fabric, so it still only cost me £3.50!! 

After pic: 
Ta dah!!! I'm really pleased with it, I love the colours together! 
So have a go, a footstool is a great beginners upcycling project, so enjoy! 

Love, Sian 💕💕



No comments:

Post a Comment