Saturday 21 June 2014

Rustoleum chalk finish paint

If you follow me on Instagram, you will know that I'm a massive fan of buying furniture from charity shops or car boots and making it my own. I am a bear of very little practical skills, but with the help of my wonderfully practical husband, have honed my diy skills. 

I've always used emulsion paint for my projects, but fancied giving furniture paint with a chalk finish a go. I picked up a tin of rustoleum paint from b&q for £14 a tin. 
This shade is called 'belgrave' and is a lovely rich blue. I used it to paint a wine cabinet purchased from the car boot for £5, here is the before and after...


I lightly sanded the surface using  a sanding block, I got mine from the range for £1, and then used a good quality brush to apply. My hubby's top tips are to go with the grain of the wood, and to do it I'm one long stroke so there are no brush marks. Alternatively, you could use a little roller as it goes on smoother. 

I really liked this paint, it went on well, smelled nice and is such a striking shade. I've been and brought some more colours for my next projects: 




I used a tester pot of duck egg blue to upcycle this magazine rack which I got from the carboot for £1.50. Again, went on well (although this was incredibly fiddly to paint!) and dried almost instantly! 

I thoroughly recommend rustoleum paints for your projects, affordable, available at b&q so easy to get and they have a lovely range of colours. Also you end up with a piece of bespoke furniture upcycled by your own fair hands, and safe in the knowledge that your neighbour hasn't got the same one! 
Now, what can I paint next??! Happy upcycling!! 
Love, Sian 💕💕

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sian, followed you over here through instagram. Two things - it's cheaper to buy annie sloan paint that rustoleum (and wax) and for both of these chalk paints you don't need to sand before hand. Wipe with baby wipes to remove dust and grime then paint! Look forward to seeing more of your makeovers - they are fantastic! Jille xc

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fab! I have just bought some chalk white paint to give new life to my pine bookcase.
    I have found that this is cheaper than the Annie Sloan chalk paint but does;nt come in as many colour's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fab! I have just bought some chalk white paint to give new life to my pine bookcase.
    I have found that this is cheaper than the Annie Sloan chalk paint but does;nt come in as many colour's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your work, it looks fab! :) I was researching on annie sloan chalk paint, because I know that it can be also be used to paint fabric... I was wonderind if rustoleum works the same way on fabrics too. Have you already tried? I have a bench that I wanted to upholster, but I don't know how to do it, and it is expensive to ask someone to do it...

    ReplyDelete