Thursday 2 April 2015

Curtains!

Wow, it's been too long since I've blogged!! For those of you who are still with me a big hello and apology, work has been so busy I have neglected my little blog! 

It's now the easter holidays, so I'm finding more time to relax and do the things I enjoy, such as cooking, baking and sewing. I haven't sewn anything for a while, and was worried I'd lost my sewing mojo.

I wanted some curtains for my kitchen and dining room window, but couldn't find any I liked or they were extortionately priced. I had a brainwave and decided to go for it and make my own! Here are a few pics; 





They were so easy to make and cost me around £20! I brought the polka dot fabric from ebay for £5.99 a metre (I ordered two). I realised the fabric wasn't quite long enough, so added a strip of floral material to the top, this fabric I already had in my stash. 
You will also need some curtain header tape (mine was 50p a metre from the habadashery section of dunelm, I used about two metres). 

Step 1: cut your fabric to the required length and width. If you are adding a different fabric to the top/bottom, pin right sides together and sew. 

Step 2: hem the top and bottom of your curtain to cover raw edges. 

Step 3: hem the sides of your curtain to cover the raw edges. 

Step 4: pin the header tape to your curtain just below the top hem. Sew along the two stitch lines. 

Step 5: attach curtain hooks to the header tape and hang! 

It's literally as easy as that! My fabric is quite heavy cotton so I haven't lined it, however that would be quite easy, step 1 would also be to pin right sides of curtain and lining together, sew leaving the top open, turn the right way and hem as in step 2. 

I don't think I'll ever buy curtains again! They are so much cheaper, fit perfectly to my window and are unique. 

I'd love to know if you make your own curtains and how you've found the experience! Next on my list are another pair for the kitchen window, then some cushion covers (watch this space!) 

Have a lovely easter, it's my favourite time of year!! Xx

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them, will try and do something similar for my kitchen I think. Love the view :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn Cartledge7 April 2015 at 00:54

    They are really pretty Sian. You got the creative bug going in me and I used some material from my stash and made a pair of tab top curtains for my sewing room. I used plain calico for the tabs and I am pleased with the result!

    Thanks for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete